For the last few years I’ve had a generic plastic wreath on my door and thought it would be nice this year to make more of an effort with it. I went into Dublin city and picked up some fancy pants ribbons from A. Rubanesque who this year even have their own custom designed Christmas ribbons in store. It cost €10 euro for 3 types of ribbon. I picked up some willow branches too to start off my circle and then added some bendy branches from a tree in my garden to supplement them. The willow was pricey – €3 a pop, hence the need for other branches to fill it out.
The willow here is the green one, the others are brown. I wanted to add some festive natural colour to the wreath and still save money, so I painted the furry catkins on some pussy willow branches I had already.
After this was done I just added the ribbons and voilà, it was ready.
Every couple of months, I organise a morning in my house in Dublin where creative types get together to make something, eat some cake and have some friendly banter (e-mail me if you fancy joining) . The last one was a free session where you could work on whatever you fancied – I used this as inspiration – – to create some clay bowls. All I needed was some air-dry clay (from a craft shop) and some leaves – it was just the end of summer so a good time to get some fresh leaves before they dry out and curl too much in Autumn. I rolled out the clay to 1/4 inch thickness, pressed the leaves in and cut out with a stanley blade. I then left these to dry in a curved shape on a piece of tinfoil for 24 hours.With the leftover clay I made some small bowls by pinching out the clay from a rolled ball. After these were dry I experimented a bit, some i painted, other I used a gold spray. With all of them i finished with clear nail varnish – not sure how long this finish will actually last but looks ok for now.
Rustoleum brilliant gold spray (Woodies DIY have this)
clear nail varnish
Hey presto – here’s the finished product – I wanted something handy to put my jewellery in on my nightstand. I think the gold spray paint worked out really well and was a doddle to apply.